The 34th Installation of the President and Managing Committee of the Travel and Tourism Association of Goa (TTAG) was held on 24th April, 2022 at the Taj Resort and Convention Centre, Dona Paula.
The event was attended by over 200 members of the TTAG.
The new TTAG Managing Committee was inducted under the Presidentship of Nilesh Shah.
President – Nilesh Shah
Vice President (North) – Jack Ajit Sukhija
Vice President (South) – Guitry Velho
Secretary – Aakash Madgavkar
Joint Secretary – Rajesh Salgaonker
Treasurer – Shekhar Divadkar
Executive Committee Members – Savio Messias, Francisco De Braganca, Ernest Dias, Vincent Ramos, Atish Fernandes, Sairaj Dhond, Tito Goes Proenca, Joao Xavier Miranda and Vinay Albuquerque
Co-oped Members: Menino D’Souza (Department of Tourism), Nikhil Desai (GTDC) and Donna D’souza (IHM)
The Chief Guest for the installation was Rohan Khaunte – Tourism Minister for Goa and the Guest of Honour was Dr. Puneet Kumar Goel with Ravi Dhawan (Secretary – Tourism) as a special guest.
The event was attended by dignitaries such Ganesh Gaonkar (GTDC Chairman), Ralph De Sousa (President – GCCI), Menino D’Souza (Director of Tourism), Nikhil Desai (GTDC Managing Director) and Donna D’souza (IHM Principal), Rajan Satardekar (Director of Transport), Gagan Malik (Airport Director), Rajesh Kale (Deputy Director of Tourism), Gavin Dias (GM Hotels – GTDC), and others.
The event started off with the TTAG Immediate Past President Savio Messias welcoming everyone to the event followed by the introduction of the Chief Guest, Guest of Honour and Special Guest.
The Chief Guest lit the auspicious lamp to formally start proceedings.
TTAG Secretary for 2020-22, Sairaj Dhond proceeded to give the Secretary’s report for 2020-22 in which he highlighted the contribution, work done and the achievements of the TTAG during the past 2 years.
Some of these included:
- The work done by managing committee and all members during the Covid Pandemic
- 5 year excise license
- 50% reduction was given for hotel fees but only the C and D category
- Deferred electricity payments
- Extension of payment of panchayat fees
- Strict action against illegally operating hotels, Villas, Guesthouses in Goa
- Interest subvention with a budget of 5 crores
- Formation of Goa Tourism Board
- Approval of 5 lakh free visas and continuation of the same.
- Charter landing fees that were budgeted for an amount of 5 crores.
- 500 charters will get a rebate of Rs one lakh on landing fees
- Implementation of taxi meters has already started
- Constant follow up with government bodies for relief and support of members for their survival
This was followed by the introduction of the President and Managing Committee Members.
The President then gave his acceptance speech and vision for 2022-24. Some of the key points from his address included:
- A strategic, innovative and sustained marketing campaign along with a strong digital strategy for Goa.
- Request for lower taxes, reduced landing fees, free visa fees to make Goa an attractive tourism destination for all tourists.
- Incentives for charter tour operators and extension of E-Visa.
- Enactment of the Goa Tourism Board
- Identification of strong, weak and new international as well as domestic markets, through collaborative efforts between the industry and government
- Trade fair participation should be accountable and trade driven.
- Taxi pricing in Goa has to be transparent, standardized and it needs to be done soon, using regulation and enforcement
- App-based taxi operations should be allowed to operate effectively and efficiently in Goa immediately.
- Goa has to have it’s own Sound Pollution Law – currently it follows the Madhya Pradesh Law.
- No compromise on law enforcement as Touts on the Roads harasses tourists, and there are questions on women’s safety, drugs, prostitution.
- Skill generation and employment for Goa’s youth
- Single window system for event licensing
- Public awareness campaigns
Shah also mentioned that this is a continuous process with new challenges along the way and hence TTAG will be continuously taking the input of all stakeholders.
He urged all members and stakeholders to give their valuable inputs throughout his term so that TTAG can address all matters comprehensively.
After this, the Chief Guest, Rohan Khaunte addressed the gathering following by the Guest of Honour, Dr. Puneet K Goel and Special Guest Ravi Dhawan.
In his address Rohan Khaunte highlighted the fact that the Government is only a facilitator and that business people should focus on business. He also said that all renewals etc will be done online assuring end to end support with no harassment of stakeholders. He has assured full support from the Tourism Ministry to the TTAG and all tourism stakeholders.
Dr Puneet Goel said that stakeholders should focus on basics to attract a good clientele while assuring his support with regards to all the points raised by stakeholders.
Ravi Dhawan meanwhile said that there is a need for skilling and support to make youth ready for employment.
This was followed by the presentation of certificates to new members along with mementos to the dignitaries present.
Guitry Velho then proposed the Vote of Thanks while Aakash Madgavkar emceed the entire event.
Thereafter, the one band by Anslem took over to enthral the crowd with some foot tapping music.
The dinner buffet which was provided by the excellent hospitality by the Taj Resort and Convention Centre under aegis of IHCL Area Director, Vincent Ramos, was opened to all guests along with beverages which were provided by Liquid Gold under the aegis of Vivek Kerkar.